Timeless Classics found right in the ingredients in your Kitchen.
Are you a natural beauty? No seriously – are you?
We have been told over the years that having your natural hair colour is a ‘natural beauty’ or wearing little to no make-up is a ‘natural beauty’ but no-one ever says that by just using natural products made using natural ingredients make you a genuine natural beauty.
We delved into Green & Blacks vegan sea salt chocolate, sipped on Pukka Love teas and crafted natural body scrubs using just 4 ingredients: Sea Salt, Cacao Nibs, Argan Oil and a Scent (Fresh Rosemary, Fresh Lemon, Rose Water or Vanilla)
The space was alive with excitement…as we walked around the room the team started to hear stories from different guests about the timeless skincare advice that had been handed down through their families.
What was more impressive was that these beauty secrets being shared could all be found in our very own kitchens.
These women were listening to their Mothers, Grandmothers and Great Grandmother’s who didn’t have access to the media bombardment of the ‘next new thing’ that will turn time back to your pre-adolescent skin.
These were tried and tested products that have been working for centuries!
Here at Arganic we don’t believe in fads; We believe in heritage and results.
Here are some of the Natural Beauty Skincare products which you can make right from your very kitchen.
#Chocolate and Argan Scrub
We are sharing with you the recipe from the event in order that you can make your very own scrub at home
For the base:
Grind the sea salt and cacao nibs. Mix 1.5 tbsp cacao nibs and 3 tbsp sea salt. Add Argan Oil to make a paste. Add the scent you wish to use (our recommended measure see below), transfer paste to glass pot and top with 0.5cm of Argan oil.
Scent: Vanilla ½ tsp, Rosemary ½, tsp Lemon ½ tsp and Rose Water – 1 tsp
- Exfoliating with sea salt helps remove dead skin cells.
- Layers of dead skin cells can make the skin look dry and flaky; exfoliation with a sea salt scrub reveals the moist, shiny skin hidden underneath.
- Sea salt scrubs invigorate the skin and help to improve circulation which will give skin its natural glow.
- Scrubbing with sea salt also helps to remove bacteria from the skin and unclog pores.
- Cacao is full of rich antioxidants and caffeine and also helps create a brownie scented scrub to invigorate the senses.
- Argan oil moisturises your skin leaving your body supple and soft for more youthful looking skin.
- Rosemary – antibacterial and antioxidant
- Rose Water – cleanses and reduces pores
- Lemon – antibacterial and anti-inflammatory
- Vanilla – antioxidant and anti-inflammatory
One of our founders favourite home made masks is a Manuka Honey Mask.
On a cleansed face apply a thin layer of honey and lie back for 15 minutes and let the mask work wonders. (it doesn’t matter if a little gets on your lips…it tastes delicious)
One of the reasons Dana loves Manuka honey is because it is naturally grainy which acts as a gentle exfoliator
- Honey helps cleanse the face. It pulls the impurities out from the pores of the skin, reducing the size and leaving an even skin tone.
- Honey has antibacterial properties which is amazing at treating spots and acne.
- Honey helps retain moisture perfect for a weekly mask to help your skin feel radiant, supple and soft.
- Honey is great at preventing wrinkles which in the long run will help your skin stay young.
# Rose Water and Green Tea Toner
Another wonderful addition was this homemade toner to use daily
Boil a kettle and brew some green tea. Once steeped for 5 minutes – remove – and chill in the fridge. Once chilled add a few drops of rose water in an airtight bottle and leave chilled in the fridge.
This simple toner applied with a cotton pad works wonders. After you have cleansed your face sweep gently to remove any leftover make-up and gently tone the skin.
- Rose water has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce the redness of irritated skin and is brilliant for acne and eczema.
- Rose water is a great cleanser and aids in removing oil and dirt accumulated in clogged pores.
- Green tea helps close pores.
Skin is revitalised and ready for a few drops of Argan oil to moisturise.
Kay Duffy has shared her favourite natural and cost effective tips with us: Cold Showers
Enter Shower: Cold Tap
- Cold Showers help improve circulation which is important to leaving your skin looking smooth and youthful.
- Cold Showers leave you feeling extra clean and revived (particularly relevant when living in a metropolitan area)
- Cold Showers have been shown to relieve depression symptoms due to the intense impact of cold receptors in the skin, which send electrical impulses from the peripheral nerve-endings to the brain. Thus boosts mood, making it a sustainable, natural pick-me-up !
Cold Showers have also been linked to keeping your pores closed and boosting shine on hair whereas hot showers can dry you up and leave your pores open to fill up with dirt and grime.
Cyntra homemade coffee scrub not only wakes you up but helps in those stubborn areas
1 cup of coarse brown sugar
1/2 cup of coconut oil
2 tbsp. ground coffee
How to make it:
Mix all the ingredients together well and store in an airtight jar. This should last up to a couple of months outside of the fridge.
To use, massage around 2tbsp of mix onto wet skin on the buttocks and thighs.
- Coffee can spike circulation and temporarily shrinks fat cells
- Caffeine can tightens and provides antioxidants to the skin when applied topically
Exfoliating is great for circulation which can help shift pesky fat cells
#5 Argan Oil for Hair, Skin and Nails
Argan oil is fantastic used on topically for your hair, skin and nails and also ingested.
- 100% Argan oil has been used for centuries as a natural skin elixir. Used on all skin types it can ease your skin from acne, nourish dry skin and also help re-balance combination skin.
- Vitamin E helps promote the growth of hair and nails and used on your cuticles can soften to let your natural nails grow to their full potential.
- Where do we even start when it comes to the benefits Argan oil has for your hair. You can read more on the how Argan oil can nourish your hair and re-energise your locks here.
That is your hair, face, body and hands all rejuvenated using one ingredient… Argan oil. We take pride in knowing that our oil is single origin and produced by hand using the highest quality methods which means that when you use it on your beautiful skin – you will instantly notice the difference.
On a serious note: the beauty industry is not regulated. That means that any ‘green bottle with organic’ written on it could have any number of chemicals and harmful ingredients inside it. The Soil Association Beauty have been working hard on their campaign #lookforthelogo to help consumers pick natural beauty products by finding the soil association logo on them. Read more about their campaign on their site and remember to check those ingredients!
We are proud to have the logo!
So are you a Natural Beauty?
Please share with us your natural remedies in the comments. A winner will be chosen and that lucky person will receive a treat from the team here at Arganic! (remember to leave your email)
All photos were supplied from our wonderful guests at the event. See our instagram page for more!